Monday, September 21, 2009

Who Pays For Health Care?

I just received a bill for shoulder surgery that my son had to have. The surgeon's bill was $11,000.00. The insurance company paid $2,000.00. I owe nothing additional. If I did not have health insurance that covered my son, I would owe the entire $11,000.00. How is this fair? How can people, who do not have the ability to buy health insurance, afford to pay the entire surgical bill? The answer is they can not pay, they do not pay. They are often forced into bankruptcy because of these medical bills. This arrangement is not good for doctors, it is not good for people with insurance and is especially harmful for those who do not have insurance. The public option will help everyone. In a recent poll 75% of doctors favor a public option. Michael Quinn, Esq.